Return to Skier Ramblings

Wax Successes and Failures

ra-5a4bd91746f71523
Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      Cliff

This is a broad topic but let’s see what happens. Just tell us what wax you used on what day, not too far back in history, and how it worked for you. You should probably also tell us the temperature and what the snow was like.

Cliff

On Thursday, Jan. 30, I skied the upper trails and had to re-wax 2 times. I started with blue extra, re-waxed with special violet and still wanting more grip, I stopped again and put on some special red. All three are recommend for around the freezing mark and it was just below freezing. The snow was fine grained re-frozen powder and none of the 3 iced up. The red worked the best and didn’t hinder my glide. I only waxed the wax pocket on my Fischer racing skis and had ironed on something called Maxiglide Sensor Speed Powder to the tips and tails which I bought back in the 1990s. Anyway, I was surprised a red wax, special or otherwise, didn’t ice up my skis when the temperature was definitely below freezing and the snow seems quite dry. Chuck seemed surprised too.

Styles Junction

• This reply was modified 4 months ago by Cliff Dutton.
      • This reply was modified 3 months, 4 weeks ago by Cliff.
      Cliff

Have you tried this: hard wax on top of klister? Right, peanut butter on top of jelly. It boggles the mind but I have had it worked surprisingly well though not always. I’ve also experienced a major fail. Once just heading out on Chickadee on a warm day the klister broke through the hard wax and stuck solid! There was no getting the ice off except by melting. I used one ski to scrape the other and the residue was still too sticky. I ended up walking back to my car, down the side of the trail and up the road. It’s not like I had a choice. Those skis were not going to slide up or down hill! I was lucky to have left my other skis in the car. I traded in the iced up mess for my no-wax skis and those worked perfectly!

Tell me where I went wrong and if you have any advice to make this illogical wax combo work reliably.

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Reviews and Organizations

WP2Social Auto Publish Powered By : XYZScripts.com